January 10, 2019
Free GTM Fundamentals Course is Live!
At some point of 2018, Google silently shut down their GTM Fundamentals course that was launched in 2015. No public announcement or other confirmed statements on why this happened. Most likely, they considered it being too outdated (because there were indeed some parts that didn’t hold up very well (e.g. the absence of the GA Settings Variable).
Time went by and no official replacement was offered. That’s why I’m happy to announce that I’ve launched my own alternative to that course, Google Tag Manager Fundamentals course.
This is a good (and free) square one for those who are just considering to start using Google Tag Manager and are not sure where to begin. If you’re not sure whether my Google Tag Manager Masterclass for Beginners is worth the money, you can start with fundamentals instead.
What’s inside the course?
In this course, I cover the essential GTM fundamentals you need to know in the very beginning. A lot of similar topics were already covered in Google’s official course (when it was available), except the Data Layer.
In this course, I skipped the Data Layer on purpose because, IMHO, it goes a bit beyond the very beginner’s level (due to its difficulty). In Google’s course (that’s shut down now), Data Layer was mentioned and the explanation of it was done pretty poorly. So in order not to ruin my free course’s experience with “just mentioning the Data Layer but not properly explaining it”, I skipped it. However, it is thoroughly covered in my GTM Masterclass course so feel free to enroll there.
Back to the contents of the course. Inside, you’ll find:
- 3 modules with 90+ minutes of video content. You can check the full curriculum in course’s landing page (+ you can preview several lessons without signing up to see whether you like the voice, pace and my way of teaching).
- Almost every lesson is enriched with related resources that you can further dig into.
- 30-question quiz to check your new knowledge. If you unintentionally skipped some topic/nuance while learning, the quiz will help you memorize it better. After answering a question you’ll get instant feedback and will find out whether the answer was correct or not.
- After all the lessons are completed, you’ll get a course completion certificate.
- Actions and tips on what to learn and what to do next after the course is complete (because your GTM journey is just starting here!).
What will you learn?
In this GTM Fundamentals course, you’ll learn:
- What is Google Tag Manager and why should businesses use it? What are the Google Tag Manager’s benefits
- What are GTM containers and how to install them on your (client’s) website
- What are tags, trigger, variables and how are they connected
- How to configure your first Google Analytics tags, page view, and event (example: outbound link click tracking)
- How to implement custom scripts
- How to test your GTM implementation (with built-in and 3rd party tools/extensions)
- How to publish your changes live
- How to speed your tag implementation process
The full curriculum of the course is available here.
Who is this GTM Fundamentals course for?
This course is for those who have never used Google Tag Manager before or are just starting with it. If you want to be more in control of your tracking/analytics codes on a website, this course is the start of your tag management journey.
For me, GTM is a huge time saver as the entire tracking implementation process has become much faster/efficient. After all, I would not have posted 120+ blog posts to this date about Google Tag Manager if it was something I hate or something useless.
So if you are in doubt whether this course is worth your time, just visit this page and take a look at several lessons that can be previewed without a sign-up. If you like them, you’ll feel the same way about the rest of the course.
Since this course is super fresh in my arsenal, I still don’t have any reviews here, but after getting feedback from students about my GTM Masterclass course, I’m pretty confident that people will appreciate my GTM fundamentals course as well.
You have nothing to lose here, there is no catch, no credit cards or any strings attached. Just sign up and start learning!
P.S. I really plan to have a productive 2019 and this is just a beginning 🙂 Happy new year! Let’s dive in, shall we?